Remaining True to Your Goal (When You Really Just Want to QUIT!)

Setting a goal is a great thing. We decide that there is an area we would like to change in our lives, excitedly set our strategy, and declare that tomorrow is the day we will get started!

Well, when tomorrow comes, reality hits. It can be scary to do something that takes us out of our comfort zone or that is challenging. Suddenly our very own Inner Critic appears, whispering reasons why we shouldn't attempt this new goal-because, of course, we will probably fail anyway, right? Excuses and self-limiting, sabotaging thoughts begin to enter our minds which practically scream at us to return to our comfort zone.

I can think of few things that are more frightening than putting on a "barely there" swimsuit and taking the stage in front of an auditorium full of people, there for the sole purpose of judging and criticizing my physique. Well, that's exactly what I did! I decided that I wanted to enter a Figure Competition, and stand among ladies who were at the top of their game in the fitness industry. Of course, I had never done this before so to say I was a little nervous about it is an understatement.

When I made the decision to enter the competition, I was excited and determined-initially. I told my family, friends and anybody who would listen all about the journey on which I was about to embark. Naturally, they were all very supportive. I enthusiastically bought all the special foods for my new eating plan and viewed and reviewed the workout plan that was developed for me. I was ready to begin!

The first ten days or so-I was on point! I was focused. Determined. I was committed to adhering to my diet and workout schedule. Strangely, as the weeks went on, my enthusiasm started to wane (after all, the contest was months away! You mean have to keep doing this for 8 more weeks?). The eating plan I was on became much stricter. The workout routines became harder and more time consuming. I began having to say NO to friends and family that wanted me to go to dinner because I couldn't put myself in a position of being tempted to go off my plan. It became harder and harder to DO what I had clearly said I wanted to do. Those closest to me were constantly supplying me with a way out of competing in the contest (aka excuses). "You look great already", "You've lost enough weight", "Don't worry if you don't enter the competition, missing this one isn't important-there will be plenty others".

Basically as the going got tougher, I wanted to QUIT, and I was ready to hear any excuse that would give me a plausible way out. My Inner Critic would constantly whisper self-sabotaging statements such as "It doesn't matter if you skip the gym and go out tonight, one missed workout won't make a difference" or "Go ahead and have pancakes for breakfast, you're hungry and you deserve it!" or "This competition really isn't all that important-who cares if you don't compete?" etc., etc.

The problem was-not doing the competition WAS important. It was important to ME because I had made a promise to myself that I was going to accomplish this goal. My family and friends would have understood if I didn't enter, but I would have felt like a failure-not because I let anyone else down but because I let myself down. It was not any fear of walking on stage in a swimsuit that kept me committed to my goal-it was a fear of failing ME that I couldn't bear.

How are you at keeping your promises to yourself? Are you remaining true to your goals? When it comes to our health and wellness, we sometimes tend to let excuses, saboteurs and a fear of failure keep us from accomplishing our goals. Your journey to health will get tough-no doubt about it. When the journey gets harder, you can lose your motivation and want to quit. DON'T. There is no shame in making mistakes and going off track of your plan momentarily. The important thing is to be patient with yourself, forgive yourself for any slips, and to just keep pressing on. Keep trying each day to take action steps that will position you closer to your end goal. There is honor in trusting the process, continuing to try, being patient for results and remaining "kind" to you during the journey. There is no better feeling than that of accomplishment, knowing that you made and kept a commitment to yourself and battled through the obstacles!

Are you ready to live a clear, directed and passionate life? - http://www.tawanacain.com Tawana Cain

Tawana Cain is a Holistic FitHealth Strategist. Awaken to what is possible for YOU to achieve a HIGHER level of health and fitness! Tawana can help you Build Your Best Body EVER. Learn how to permanently release the weight that is holding you back and discover a new level of Fit, Healthy and Sexy! Your Success Starts with Conversation with Tawana!


Original article

No comments:

Blog Archive